Friday, September 23, 2011

Thing 10 of 23 Things: Set Up an RSS Reader and Add Feeds

I actually began using Google Reader when we were assigned to follow a blog in our LiveText assignment. I found several blogs that I wanted to follow and heard from a friend that Google Reader can help organize your reading of these blogs. I really like that you can read a snippet of the new entries without leaving Google. You do have the option, however, to go to the blog website by clicking on the title of the post and read the full thing. The downside, though, for the blogger, is that they would have to write an attention grabbing line within the first few characters of the post in order to guarantee your traffic on their blog for that entry.

I love that the creators of Google have a sense of humor!The View Settings of the feeds crack me up! They're listed as sort by newest, by oldest, or by magic.

I plan on using Google Reader to keep up with current events in the news and to follow my favorite teacher blogs (so far) for good advice and fun ideas on classroom management and lesson plans. I'll be an art teacher when I grow up, so I'm not sure how I would have my students use this service in an elementary school setting. I'd probably just use it as a teaching aide if the content correlates to the lesson I'll be teaching that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment