Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Thing 13 of 23 Things: Web-based Applications

I really like Zoho writer! It's comparable to Microsoft Word, but better than Google Docs for creating a .doc file. I like the fact that you can create, edit, and save the document online on Zoho.com or export your file and save it to your computer. You can also import your .doc file from Google Docs straight into Zoho. Pretty neat, huh? It is frustrating, however, that all of the formatting does not transfer when you upload a .doc file to Zoho to work on it. I created this tutorial using Microsoft Word and I really wanted to share with you all, but every time I tried uploading it, my images were thrown all over the place. This happens in Google Docs as well. Because I really wanted to share this without making you click on a link to view it, I went through great lengths to get it here! I'll explain further down, but first, please take a few moments to see what I created:


 Ok, so now for the explanation. (It may have been the long way to go about it, but this is what worked for me. Please feel free to comment if you know another way!) I saved my .doc file as a .pdf in Microsoft Word and uploaded it to Google Docs. (I did this because I did not want Google Docs to mess up my formatting. I uploaded it to Google Docs, because it supports .pdf files. Zoho does not.) This is where Google Docs receives my saving graces: If you view a .pdf in Google Docs, you can right click on it and save it as a .jpg file. Zoho supports .jpg files! I'm still trying to figure out how to update my blog with Zoho Writer. So far, it keeps giving me an error message with no explanation:



So for now, I'll be updating the old way.

No comments:

Post a Comment